Sunday, January 12, 2014

Movie Review: Cloud Atlas

My rating: 2/5. 

From Amazon: "Future. Present. Past. Everything is connected. An exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution.The story is a time-shifting weave of six interlinking narratives, with diverse settings from the savagery of a Pacific Island in the 1850s to a dystopian Korea of the near future. Based on the New York Times best-selling novel Cloud Atlas written by David Mitchell."

I have not read the book, but judging by book reviews and previews for the movie, I really expected to like this. Instead, all I found it to be was a purposefully confused, often boring mess. Good storytelling doesn't have to force itself to be obtuse, and it needs to convey a point. This movie seemed mostly pointless.  It was also unnecessarily gory a few times, and I never appreciate that.  

I will give it credit for its makeup though.  Holy cow; a few times it was quite a while before I realized which (famous) actor was behind a particular character's makeup job.  But that's about all I can give it credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!