Thursday, August 15, 2013

Book Review: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

My rating: 4.5/5

From Amazon: "Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?"

As much as I don't tend to like political dramas (sci-fi or not), this book was super accessible and I could hardly put it down.  It was exciting, realistic, and heart-wrenching at times, watching everything Ender went through (socially, mentally, and physically) as well as his sister Valentine.  Every character was deeply explored to the point that I felt like I knew every one of them.  I got the feeling that the author didn't know how to write kids, but he got around this perfectly by writing children who are abnormally advanced and more adult-like than child-like.  I'm really, really excited for the movie now (trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRizeR4MmU). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!