Sunday, July 15, 2012

Video Game Review: Women's Murder Club - Death in Scarlet

My rating: 1.5/5

This game, which is based on a series of books that I have not read, is pretty awful.  The end!

No, I'll go on a rant here, but seriously, you can stop reading if you want. All you need to know is that it's bad. Even if you're way into hidden picture and puzzle games and think "Aw, it can't be that terrible, can it?"

Yes. Yes it can.

On the one hand, this game gets some props for having an all-female cast in the law enforcement department, which is rare. However, I remember at least one conversation between the characters about shoes or shopping or both, and so those props pretty much disintegrate. The ending, which I won't spoil here (just in case; though again I'm warning you, don't play it), is also weirdly almost-misogynistic and doesn't really resolve much.

The hidden picture parts aren't bad, but they get a little bit repetitive. The other puzzles are simple but fun the first time they come up... and then you have to do them over, and over, and over again, to the point that I'm surprised I didn't uninstall the game before beating it.  Especially the lab puzzles. Omg the lab puzzles....  And the two maze puzzles were weird and difficult to figure out what you were supposed to be doing, let alone figure out how to beat them.

Long story short: I was bored but finished it. I uninstalled it. I'll try to sell it at our next garage sale, passing it along to some unfortunate soul who will now be out both $0.25 and a couple long hours of his or her life.

Apparently there are also sequel games to this, to which I can only ask why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!