Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Book Review: Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

My rating: 3.75/5

From Amazon: "The underground population of witches, vampires, werewolves—creatures of dreams and nightmares—has lived beside humans for centuries, hiding their powers. But after a genetically engineered virus wipes out a large part of humanity, many of the 'Inderlanders' reveal themselves, changing everything.

"Rachel Morgan, witch and bounty hunter with the Inderland Runner Services, is one of the best at apprehending supernatural lawbreakers throughout Cincinnati, but when it comes to following the rules, she falls desperately short. Determined to buck the system, she quits and takes off on the run with an I.S. contract on her head and is reluctantly forced to team up with Ivy, Inderland's best runner . . . and a living vampire. But this witch is way out of her league, and to clear her name, Rachel must evade shape-changing assassins, outwit a powerful businessman/crime lord, and survive a vicious underground fight-to-the-death . . . not to mention her own roommate."

The writing in this book is, for the most part, solid and good, and I enjoyed reading it.  I especially loved Rachel's temperamental pixie co-worker, Jenks, and his awesome family (made up of his wife and bazillion kids).  The background is interesting too; it's almost an alternate history, just with supernatural creatures.  But at the same time, I'm still not entirely sure about a lot of things that may be cleared up in future books in the series (The Hollows), such as why the I.S. can have people killed for breaking their contracts, what's up with Ivy (the vampire roommate), what happened to Rachel's dad, what's up with Keasley (the witch across the street), what's up with Nick (just a human...?), etc., etc.  And leaving so many loose ends was part of why I couldn't quite rate the book a 4.  The plot meandered a bit too, in that there were too many problems to deal with all at once, and I'm not sure that much of anything was fixed or solved by the end.  I even caught myself forgetting a few times which problem the main characters were working on at that point. 

However!  I still had trouble putting the book down, which is always a good sign, and I have it on good authority that the other books in the series are even better than this one.  With that, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for an entertaining paranormal urban fantasy series. 

(You can also read the first chapter of the book on Kim Harrison's site for free here: http://www.kimharrison.net/BookPages/DWW/DWW.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!