Friday, March 11, 2011

Review -- Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1

My rating: 4/5 stars

Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1 by PJ Haarsma is a great Young Adult science fiction novel. I'm an adult, but I could barely put my Kindle down while reading it. If anyone is looking for a book that their kids will enjoy, or anyone looking for accessible sci-fi, I definitely recommend this one.

This first book of a four-book series centers on Johnny Turnbull, or JT, one of over 200 orphan children brought to Orbis from Earth. They have never known Earth or their parents, having been born on their seed ship after the adults had already passed away, and look forward to their life on Orbis. However, as in our lives on Earth, the children's new lives are not what they imagined, and JT, his sister, and his friends must fight for their lives and for the very existence of Orbis.

Unlike many sci-fi novel geared towards adults, this book is very accessible, with just the right amount of jargon and background information to keep the reader interested without feeling overwhelmed. An easy, entertaining read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!